The Oasis Renewal Center has been open a year now and we are amazed at the blessings God has given us, and we are so grateful for all of the help we have received along the way. Thank You!
Susan and I are now living in Sonoita full time and making the adjustment to a simpler, more focused life. We were without internet service for several days in July - seems the satellite system does not work in the rain and the Monsoons have started. There have been lots of other challenges along the way. Yet we know we are called to serve and we have never been so happy together. We have made the Oasis our calling and our mission and we have been richly blessed.
Here are some of the highlights from the last year:
- · In 2013 we had more than 25 guests come stay with us and grow closer to the Lord;
- · This year we have had several larger groups, including 9 pastors one weekend and a church group of 8 adults, 5 kids (and a dog!) on another;
- · In April we held a Men’s Retreat which was spectacular and transformative. All of the men who attended came away feeling closer to God and with a clearer understanding of His call in their lives;
- · We had several individual and small group retreats through the spring; so far we’ve had more guests in the first half of this year than we had all last year!
- · Roxy and Zorro proven their worth time and again as therapy dogs; providing unconditional love to everyone they meet.
We continue to work at making the Oasis a quiet, relaxing and safe retreat for those who want to get closer to God. We finished the process of drilling the new well even after the drill rig almost sank into the mud!
We have also been working on the walking paths and gardens around the property. The Oasis is located on 16 rolling acres, covered in Oak and Juniper – teeming with wildlife. Our walking paths provide the opportunity to pray and reflect in solitude or with others. We now have more than a mile of walking paths. This fall we will be planting raised garden beds, and installing irrigation and drains. Next spring we will plant a variety of fruits and vegetables that will feed us and our guests.
We have been blessed with so much support and are very grateful to all of those who have helped. Our goal is to continue to improve the property and the amenities to create a restful and worshipful place for everyone who wants to be closer to God. We received more than $30,000 in donations in the past year from a number of generous donors. This year we are hoping to fund several new projects and every donation helps, no matter how small.
If you can’t make a monetary donation, please consider volunteering some of your time to help us at the Oasis. We will provide lodging and great meals in exchange for some help around the property. There is plenty to do no matter what your skill level. And up here in the mountains the weather is fantastic and cool, unlike the Valley of the Sun (or the “Surface of the Sun,” as it is fondly referred to during the summer). Come visit! www.oasisrenew.com