Monday, May 6, 2013

Confessions



They say that confession is good for the soul. (I have no idea who "they" are, but they are probably correct in this case.) And, of course, James the brother of Jesus, said "Confess your sins to one another and pray for each other."

What I am about to confess is not really sinful. Or, at least I haven't found a prohibitive verse in the Bible, specifically referring to my own situation. So here goes:

I AM AN ENIGMA!

There. I said it. Whew, I feel better already!

You may be thinking, "OK...so?"

Well, this enigmatic thing has bothered me for some time. You see, I was an English Literature major in college. I went on to earn a Master's degree and I am a Pastor in the RCA. There are, shall we say, certain expectations and assumptions about people like me. And I don't think I live up to those expectations.

And so, I hereby confess that:


I read Stephen King novels.
  • I have never read Moby Dick. Or Tristram Shandy. Or Robinson Crusoe.
  • I detest Charles Dickens. Describing a mud puddle with just two run-on sentences that go on for three pages is not good writing, it's showing off.
  • I found Jane Austen's books to be silly. I didn't like the characters. Not even Mr. Darcy.
  • Don't even get me started on the Left Behind series...
  • For the record, I loved the Harry Potter series. All seven books. J.K. Rowling is a genius.

I watch The Walking Dead, Doctor Who and The Following.
  • I couldn't sit through 5 minutes of The Bible mini-series. The book is far better.
  • I don't like musicals. I have never watched Glee.
  • I don't understand the appeal of most sit-coms or reality shows.

I listen to Rammstein, and other Industrial-type rock. Sometimes I listen to other genres, but:
  • I have no idea who the latest Christian artists or rappers are.
  • I have never heard a song by Ke$ha, One Direction, or Wiz Khalifa that I'm aware of.
  • I don't listen to the radio in the car (or anywhere else) so I don't know which station is K-LOVE.
I love Ice Hockey! Even the on-ice fights.
  • Baseball bores me to tears.
  • I don't understand American football.
I have a warped sense of humor.

I realize that putting all of this out there is just asking for backlash. I mean, a Pastor who admits enjoying violent TV shows and sports? An English major who reads horror novels? What's with her obsession with loud music, and the Un-Dead? What do you mean baseball is boring?? What on earth is she thinking?

I simply want to admit being an enigma; a puzzle; a complicated being who cannot be stereo-typed. I am an enigma, and I'm proud! I think that secretly, we all are.



No comments:

Post a Comment